Sunday, July 09, 2006

Early birds

Remember when you used to go camping in the bush? You'd wake up just as the sky started to change from black, to indigo, to dark violet, just around the edges. The birds have been twittering their way into your awareness for a while now, and you finally realise you can register at least six or seven different bird calls around you. It's that special feeling that makes me love living where we do. Get up early enough here and the bird songs filter in through the windows (and your bleary consciousness) and make the stumble through the dark all worthwhile. Almost.

You might have guessed by now that I'm up ridiculously early and, yes, am still making my way through the first cup of coffee. We've been tough with Rosa's sleep routine lately. It had gotten to the point where I was feeding her at least every hour or so during the night, so we decided to take action. James has been pulling the hard yards and putting her back to sleep most of the night, until I come to the rescue at about 4am. And it was working. It IS working. Last night was an anomaly. As far as I know James was on shift from 1am til 4:30, and I've been on since then. I'm guessing this lively little button next to me got some sleep somewhere in there, but tell you what, give me a quote about hen's teeth and I'll give you a sleeping baby.

No comments: